The UVA Parents Fund Grants Application for the 2016-17 academic year CLOSED on Friday, September 23, 2016.
Decisions for the 2016-17 Grant Application cycle were communicated to organizations during the week of October 24, 2016.
Providing grants and awarding student scholarships are two of the primary ways in which the UVA Parents Committee enhances the undergraduate student experience. We have allocated more than $1 million across Grounds during this academic year. Members of the UVA Parents Fund Committee administer the grants program and prefer to provide “seed money” to initiate new programs or to meet a one-time need, not to provide annual funding for existing programs. Parents Fund Grants do NOT fund:
- Honoraria/speaker fees
- Speaker travel and lodging
- Student travel and lodging
- Prizes (including but not limited to gift cards and trophies)
- Any University of Virginia student, organization, or department that provides services, programs or projects to UVA undergraduate students is eligible to apply for a Parents Fund Grant that will support on Grounds activities.
- Parents Fund Grant applications must be submitted via email during our Fall grants cycle (which traditionally runs from the first full week of classes in August thru late September). Applications submitted through any other avenue will not be considered.
- Each applicant must submit a complete application, including a project budget. The budget template can be downloaded below. Do not type “same” in any of the application or budget template fields; each field must be completed accurately.
- Reimbursements will only be issued for items and purposes stated in your original budget. No substitutions or modifications can be made without prior written consent from the Committee at least two weeks in advance of when your group intends to make any modified expenses.
- Reimbursement requests for the 2016-17 academic year must be received before September 30, 2017, along with a grant report specifying the outcome of your project, unless special arrangements are made with the UVA Parents Fund prior to that date. More details about what to include in a grant report are in the “Reporting and Acknowledgement” section below. Requests received after September 30, 2017 will be denied. Any funds remaining in your grant account at that time will be reallocated during the 2017-18 grant cycle.
All Parents Fund Grant Applications must follow our template. This will be available here in August 2017, when our 2017 Grant Application cycle begins. The template will ask you to include the following:
Organization Mission or Purpose
Use three sentences or less to summarize your organization’s purpose, activities, and achievements.
- Summarize your project’s goals, objectives, and the number of students you expect to impact.
- Why is this project important and what is its potential benefit to the University community?
- Describe your plan to measure the project’s effectiveness toward meeting your goals and objectives.
- Groups may submit ONE APPLICATION ONLY. If you are requesting funds for multiple projects or events, prioritize them within your application.
- Use the Grant Application Budget Template.
- Include all sources of funding you have received or expect to receive.
- Request a specific dollar amount; estimates (“ball-park figures”) are not acceptable.
- Requests should be itemized, indicating the cost elements that make up your total request.
Reporting and Acknowledgment
- If your UVA Parents Fund Grant is approved, be sure to acknowledge the Parents Fund’s support wherever possible by including our logo on any brochures, flyers, web pages, and/or social media posts you publish. The UVA Parents Fund has a Facebook page (“UVA Parents”) and Twitter handle (@UVa Parents Fund). Please follow us, and tag us in any posts about your project. Other ways to recognize us include making an announcement at your event and displaying a powerpoint slide with our logo at your event. Failure to adequately recognize the Parents Fund’s support could jeopardize your organization’s future grant requests.
- Grant recipients are expected to submit a written report with pictures (where applicable) to the Parents Fund within 2 weeks of the project’s completion, along with all reimbursement materials. Your report should include a description of how the Fund was recognized for supporting your project. Failure to submit a report could jeopardize your organization’s future grant requests.